Sunday, March 4, 2012

Librarything, Citulike, & Shelfari

Soo ... trying to get a bit of jump on things this week. A whopping two days early, wow, go me! And on a Sunday night too boot!

I have previously checked out Librarything in the past, and while I liked the setup and get the gist, my heart lies with the shelfari. I love it - you are more than welcome to follow me there if you'd like - you can search now by Twitter accounts or Facebook (my Facebook, for those interested early, is Colleen Cote .. not sure if that will work, but hopefully you can find me!). I love how it is set up, and it is very aesthetically pleasing to me! I also like how they show all alternative cover titles (from old and new printings) so you can choose the exact one you are reading ... OCD I know, but right up my alley!

I have never used Citulike before, but I do enjoy I can sign up through Facebook (I love that option on many websites, makes my life easier!). I wish I could search for connections on there through Twitter, Facebook or email, but I can't and I don't know anyone else on there yet. It seems like a handy reference tool for articles of interest in many things (I chose Education because I wasn't sure what to classify as).

The "everyone's library" is a little insane to take a look at, and wow, do the subjects run the gamut! There are quite a few "library" journals available, and I'm excited to look through them a little more closely when time permits.

This seem like true academic scholarly articles (of course, I have not fully gone through the site in detail) but I'm curious about the reputation of the site? I'm embarrassed to say this is the first I think I've heard of it, though it seems I have seen links for it when doing research. If I understand this correctly, I think I can "bookmark" any article I am reading through one of the little links that show up (such as in Ebsco Host) on the right side of the screen (where you can click the cite button, or the print button, etc.) and it will automatically put it in my library, along with the citation (so awesome).

Am I interpreting this service correctly?

2 comments:

  1. I also very much like Shelfari, but my one complaint is that my bookshelf is not big enough to house all the books I want to put in it. So the books in my bookshelf only include the ones I have read recently or my absolute, all time favorites.

    I haven't had a chance to look at citeulike in depth, but I plan to look at it for my literature review paper. I agree that it is also neat that I can access it through Facebook. That makes my life easier too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kristin, how many books do you have? Between all my shelves (want to read, read, and reading now) I have almost 500 books .. I didn't realize there was a limit?

    ReplyDelete