Friday, March 2, 2012

Blogs Wikis Twitter OH MY

So, I've been reading through some of the other blogs through my google reader feed, and keeping up on some of the conversations through Twitter, and shortly we will all start following each other on Facebook. I have to admit - for class purposes, it all gets confusing. I like the blog for responding to readings, but I think everything else is a little much to follow. I'm slowly sort of phasing out of Facebook (I use it now mostly for picture sharing) and I love my Twitter. I feel like the blog is sort of eh ... maybe if I had a specific thing I was blogging about (like a running blog, or cooking blog, etc.) but I feel like I'm sort of repeating a lot of the same stuff (or sharing the same stuff) through a bunch of different sites. I like using the social media for specific purposes more, such as my friends/followers on Twitter aren't the same people as Facebook, so I think that makes a difference since it's not the same information coming from or going to the same people all the time.

Am I making any sense? Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of juggling it all yet, or prioritizing properly. I just know I love me some Twitter!

5 comments:

  1. I agree totally, Colleen! I can manage one or two, compartmentalized for different facets of my life, but ALL? I haven't looked at facebook in weeks, I'm all "aTwitter" and the worse for it in the sleep department, I'm still checking three e-mail accounts (one for my school, one for URI, one for my personal life) looking at RSS news feeds and blogs (and frustrated by losing blogspot comments any time anyone else gets there first- on the other hand I can't ALWAYS hog the top spot) writing blogs, interacting on Sakai, following LinkedIn forums, playing with Shelfari, Pinterest, Evernote, scoop.it!, stumbleupon...
    Do I have a life anymore? Oh, and of course we all have a few other commitments in human department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen - I feel the same way as you. In fact, I was just considering blogging about my anxiety regarding social media for this class. I find myself stalking my classmates to see how many blog posts they have done, because I never feel like what I have done is enough.

    In fact, I think I did some work for this class on Tuesday (in regards to responding to posts) and it is only Saturday and I woke up this morning feeling totally out of the loop.

    I feel like what I do follow for this class is never enough, because with every new post or twitter feed I read, there are like a hundred more that just got posted!

    It is a really hard (and somewhat stressful) balance, and I think after this class is over I might need a social media hiatus for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturally when you are finished you will not have so much to follow, you can pick and choose and see what will work in your situation. That said, however, I'll let you know if you are not doing enough. Don't worry too much.

      Delete
  3. Stefanie - I love social media, and I agree! I'm getting married in June and we are going to St. Lucia and St. Marteen for two weeks .. I don't think I will buy the WiFi option just to be offline for awhile :o)

    I find it does help to have email notifications turned on, especially for my blog and when someone "connects" to me on Twitter ... this way I know right away when someone has commented or reached out to me and I can get back to them as soon as possible. I don't turn them on for Facebook because that net just seems to large and my inbox would be a menace at that point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *too* large ... sorry, I hate when I'm typing fast and miss something silly like that :o)

    ReplyDelete