Monday, February 13, 2012

Blogs Wikis RSS Feeds & Some New Terms I Didn't Know

I was excited to learn two new terms today: folksonomie and AJAX. I don't know if I will ever reference them in conversation again, but it was interesting to know that these terms exist, and what they mean.

I was confused as well, initially, by the seemingly interchangeable use of Web 2.0 tools and Library 2.0 tools. It seems it depended on what article I was reading on which term they used. What I took from this article was that not all Web 2.0 tools are (nor should they be) necessarily Library 2.0 tools. I agreed with the author that only the tools that library and its users NEED should be included. This actually relates back to my literature topic because I will be looking at what users expect out of these tools from the library, therefore essentially finding out what their own needs are as users. The tools can also be what librarians need, such as the possible use of a wiki, for internal communication or a project to be shared amongst staff or a department.

I'm not sure I took away exactly what an RSS feed would do for the library users, so if anyone has any insight on that, please share! I think blogs are a wonderful way to include the community in the technological aspect of the library, and what AADL does is great (especially with patrons being able to see other patrons comments). It really does show respect that you trust your community, and I'm sure there is an option for the administrator to delete comments if they don't. :o)

3 comments:

  1. Colleen, I also thought Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 were more interchangeable!
    AJAX still confuses me, but as long as I have templates and nobody asks me to actually design the website, I can live with that! I've decided it works like a very surreptitious butler.
    The RSS makes sense to me because you can chose as a customer which topic feeds you want to get from a site with multiple subjects, just like we all have RSS feeds sending blog updates from this class to our "Google Reader" or "My Yahoo!" aggregators. Uhhhmmm, at least I think that's what they do. I know I get updates from certain sites sent to my Yahoo page, to be read from any computer. I don't have a smartphone, but you get your updates sent to all your devices, right? I think that's the RSS, so it keeps library patrons updated about just the topic they choose to follow in the library, as long as the library separates these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you just best explained RSS for me, Lucy! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, thanks Lucy! I understand what an RSS feed is - I was just asking how a public library would use an RSS Feed for patrons. (Academic I get, we get them from GSLIS all the time)

    ReplyDelete