Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Oh, How Tweet Tweet It Is!

So, let me start off this week's discussion with ...

I LOVE TWITTER. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE TWITTER. LOOOOOOVE TWITTER #crazylady


That being said, let's get down to business!

The LC blogpost is interesting. I am proud to say I actually saw their original tweet about cataloging all tweets first hand when the story first broke. I have mixed feelings on the issue - I don't really think it's a big deal in regards to privacy/access to information. I feel Twitter is a public forum, and if you aren't comfortable with that, then Twitter is not the social media forum for you.

I think Twitter can be VERY useful to libraries and librarians, especially for sharing information and getting ideas. It is a great tool for keeping track of news from the different organizations and upcoming events. I follow a bunch of different librarians, libraries (such as all our local libraries that are on Twitter, including the newly joined Newport Library) as well as large public libraries, such as NYPL. After reading through the uses list of Twitter in the lecture, I think the one that sounds the most odd (or the one I would least ever use Twitter for) is to make lists or reminder notes. Really? Twitter to jot down ideas? I guess ultimately that is what Twitter is, but this just seemed odd.

The guides, studies and tips have some fantastic links, and I can't wait to explore them thoroughly! I didn't know about some of the tools and add-ons, though I did know about the tie-in to Facebook, the locator service, and the search function.

While I am sure we will all be following some similar library/librarian tweeters, here are some of the others I like (purely for personal enjoyment and entertainment)

Whitney Cummings
Pierce Morgan
Howie Mandel
Reach Out and Read
Cox Rhode Races
Runner's World
Chad Ochocinco
Weight Watchers

No comments:

Post a Comment