Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Culture Of Connectivity - Paying Attention & Fighting the Flu

Oomph. What a tough week for a 54:00 minute video to watch :o) I am fighting this virus with all I have, so I am trying to watch the video on one side screen and take notes in my blog so as not to have to retype them all over again. If anything I say comes across as clumsy, misspelled or delirious, I beg your forgiveness. These alka-seltzer tablets are amazing for the drug-like induced sensations I am currently experiencing :o)

First note on video: The first woman to speak encouraged eating and tweeting throughout the entire session. I like.

Notes:

  • Sociological divide - not all kids/students are born equal in digital skills, even at places like Harvard.
  • This guys cheeks are super-rosy ... why is that?
  • Two approaches: see what sticks, experiments, OR plan goals and work from there. Need a combo.
  • Fair amount of data now for use in social and academic contexts (Boyd)
  • Locate social media, and what they do, oversight of what they are and how set up
  • Repurposed "liking" on Facebook as emotional set up instead of corporate support
  • Conversation - social grooming, peripheral awareness (what's for breakfast), not really there
  • Social presence expected, old connections, longer connectedness than pre-social media
  • Scrapbook of their social lives
  • Public Space - Social Space
  • Persistance (always online), Replicability (cut & paste), Searchability, Scalability (embarrassing, humiliating, sexual or grotesque)
  • Invisible audiences
  • Collapsed contexts - lack of boundaries make it difficult to maintain distinct contexts
  • Privacy/Publicity - social control - negotiate privacy
  • Angelina quote - put out there so can keep close what is really private
  • Overuse of pronouns - I know what SHE said
  • Search engines - don't know how to make a query, use of copyright
  • Wikipedia - amazing opportunity instead of just "bad"
  • Process of creation, constant evolution of media literacy
  • Social constructs - not everyone gets along
  • Teacher Involvement - where does it begin, end or blur? A dance of tango
  • Online face is only one facet of that person's story
I really enjoyed listening to Boyd; I found her engaging and funny and did not dread the time of the video once she started her presentation. Certain points really stuck or made me think more about the teens/student in these types of forums.

 I found that she encouraged me to think about people on social media in a different light, especially teens, such as what their view of privacy is versus that of their parents. As she quoted Angelina Jolie, she speaks of putting stuff out there so people don't bug you about what you really want to keep private. I like this view, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical. If people are throwing what they want out their to keep their REALLY private stuff private, I cannot even begin to imagine what they are hiding! 

I could also appreciate her comments on teacher/professor involvement with students in the social media constructs. None of the social media sites were around when I was in high school so it wasn't as much a concern then, but now I find I am friends with a couple of professors on Facebook, and the experience can be strange. There is a line there that seems odd since we are similar in age, areas of origin, etc., but I feel there should be a divide (until graduation possible, when we could be considered colleagues?) I always feel that even when we are apparent "equals" I am always the student and they are always the professor (respect, or need for a therapy session? who knows) ... the same could be said between the boss/worker relationship and their social media use.

I could comment on every point she made, but this is already quite lengthy due to my bulleted list of notes during Boyd's presentation. I will leave them up as a gracious token of support for those that may have not made it through the entire video ;o)

3 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better, Book Runner! I enjoyed this entry. Maybe Palfrey's cheeks are rosy because he was coming down with a virus, too. (He seems too young for rosacea!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciated the first speaker who encouraged eating and tweeting throughout the session, too! Now, if only all speakers felt that way... I'd never go hungry in public again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny that so many talked of dreading the 54 minute video...you would spend an hour reading for a class, right? I think it is because it is so unususal. By the way, outside of this class my policy is to friend my students only after they graduate because it can feel a bit weird on both sides, but I think of us as colleagues already, that's why I allow use-of-first-name familiarity. I encourage you to unfriend me after that portion of the class if you wish, I won't be offended, but I won't go out of my way to unfriend you.

    ReplyDelete